- Don’t ever immerse a vibrator in water unless you are sure it is fully waterproof and not just water resistant.
- Store any battery-operated toy without its batteries in it. This will prevent the batteries from wearing down unnecessarily and any possible battery leakage into your toy.
- Store toys separately from each other to avoid discolouration and melting. It is helpful to wrap each toy in a breathable fabric so they are not touching.
- Direct sunlight and/or excessive heat can cause discolouration, melting, or drying out. Store in a cool, dark place like a drawer.
- Silicone is non-porous and easy to clean. Do not use silicone based lube with a silicone toy, it will melt your toy.
- Cleaning: Run it through the dishwasher, on the top rack, or boil it for 3-5 minutes to sterilize.
- A translucent, soft, and flexible substance that looks like it contains air bubbles.
- Cleaning: This material is a non-porous form of rubber that can be cleaned with mild soap and hot water.
- Firm, flexible, and often heavy, rubber dildos are porous and often need more care to clean than the average toy.
- Cleaning: Rubber dildos should always be used with condoms, but can be cleaned with mild soap and water.
- This material is soft and supple, and looks and feels remarkably like skin.
- Cleaning: Rinse with hot water, or disinfect by putting alcohol onto a cloth and lightly rubbing (avoid soap or harsh detergents); to keep the silky feel, sprinkle with cornstarch or talc.
- Use only water or silicone based lubes on latex, as oil-based substances will break it down.
- Vinyl toys are light in weight, easy to clean, and come in many different forms and colors.
- Cleaning: Vinyl products are non-porous, and can be washed with mild soap and hot water.
- Glass Glass toys provide the benefit of being able to use a microwave or warm water to increase their temperature, or a freezer to decrease it.
- Cleaning: Glass toys are non-porous and can be cleaned using warm water and soap.
Always remember to clean your sex toys when sharing with multiple partners or different orifices, and before and after every use.
If cleaning seems like too much of a pain and you still want to use your toy with more than one person, you could always just put a latex condom (or latex glove, in the case of some larger vibrators) over your toy and discard the glove or condom when you’re done. Remember to use a new condom each time you switch from one person to the next or from one sexual area to another.