top of page

If you think you might be pregnant, be sure to confirm this with an at-home pregnancy test (urine test). We sell them at the SHRC for $3.40, or you can get a urine or blood test done by a healthcare provider to confirm a pregnancy.


Please note: within 72 hours of unprotected sex, the emergency contraceptive pill (ECP) is an option if you wish to prevent yourself from becoming pregnant.

If you have confirmed that you are pregnant, you have three options.


Option #1

You can take the pregnancy to term and raise the child. You will eventually have to tell people in your life about this. Although this option can be very rewarding, it is likely you will need financial and emotional support. Also, it is important to consider factors like: where you would raise your child, the relationship you have with the biological father, if you want to remain at school/work, etc. There are many community services that can aid you if you decide to keep the child, which we can help find for you.


Option #2

You can have an abortion and terminate the pregnancy. If you decide that this option is right for you, you can have the procedure done within 12 weeks of conception in Kingston. The Lakeside Clinic (located in KGH) offers medical or surgical termination options based on the timeline of pregnancy and your preference. They also offer emotional support services. This procedure may require you to take some time off of school/work and a support person should accompany you to the clinic. The SHRC offers a confidential accompaniment service if you opt for an abortion, and we will accompany you to the clinic and back home.


Option #3

You can take the pregnancy to term and put the child up for adoption or have relatives raise them. This option has its rewards both for you and perhaps for the person(s) adopting the child as well. Adoption can also be emotionally difficult. However, adoption agencies provide services to get you through this trying time as well as help facilitate the legal aspects of adoption. We can help find these agencies for you.

bottom of page